Home   My 100's   My Supernatural Journey   My Dad   Contact

Sunday, December 2, 2007

The Rose






A Rose has many thorns
Or
Thorns have a Rose




(2 Corinthians 12:7) “…there was given me a thorn in my flesh”


I sat talking with a friend the other day or maybe it was more like crying to a friend how my heart was just breaking. This week the doctor told us my daddy needed Hospice care. Yes, this is what I do every day but it’s different when it’s me—my family. But I knew that it was time. My sister and I have seen the decline; I was just in denial like so many other families I had worked with. Now the tables have turned. My dad’s wish is to be comfortable. He is tired.

My friend shared her story as she lost her dad several years ago. Her emotions are still very raw and she misses her dad very much. As she started to cry, she apologized, “I am sorry; I am supposed to be comforting you. You are so much stronger than me.”

Part of me wanted to scream out as if having a bad dream, “No I am not strong, if you only knew. You don’t know how I cope. You don’t know how weak I am. If you only knew...”

All of us have our thorns, do we not? Some just happen to notice the thorns where others notice the rose. But regardless, the thorns are there!

I need Jesus. I need Him to be my fragrance (2 Corin 2:14). For my thorns would shock you, prick your heart and distract you from Him.

But my thorns, your thorns, I believe they keep us humble and focused off the rose (us) and on focused on the Fragrance (Christ).

When I see a beautiful rose, I go to its beauty and then immediately to its fragrance. I am no longer focused on the rose but the aroma. Oh yes, sometimes Christ Fragrance touches someone before the beauty of the rose ever does, but that is a whole other story. So in my distraction, I might be discouraged by a thorn or two but may the arising fragrance overpower the calling pains of this life. (Jn8:44)

So may we be a rose that Christ may reveal His fragrance to the lives of others…

As for our thorns… What a beautiful rose we are!


By the way, my dad’s favorite flower… is the Rose….I love you Dad…




Living the Supernatural,

13 little hearts from you...:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

My heart goes out to you, Connie. This is something I think about everyday, the situation you're in with your father. I'm praying for you.

Denise said...

I am wrapping you in my love and prayers.

Sharon Brumfield said...

Wrapping you in prayer and love. Not minding the thorns at all because the fragrance of the rose is so strong.
I am sorry. I will be praying for the peace and comfort of your Dad.
Love ya girl.
Praying for your heart and the hearts of your family.

Denise said...

Am so sorry to hear about your Dad and his end of days.... I just cannot imagine how you feel.. I have my Mom and Dad here with me (about 50 feet outside my back door) and I help care for them daily. Dad is 90 in a few days and Mom is 88 in a few days.. They are so precious to me and I know that there is a day coming that I will need to say good bye... but for now my heart goes out to you. By the way, my Dad before the war grew long stem roses..... he talkes a lot about their beauty... He also loves the rose..........

Anonymous said...

Yes I am praying for you also. It is so hard when it hits home.Continue to make beautiful memories:)Jesus is walking with you every step of the way. God Bless You ((((hug))))

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

What a beautiful post, Connie!! I know this is going to be very hard on you. Sandy

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

I'm so sorry Connie...I remember the moment that they told me my dad had four months to live and he lived four months. Except, I wasn't close with my dad and i wanted to make the most of that four months sitting with him in the hospital most of that time back in the early 90's. May you hear His Voice and pour His words into your dad's heart that is so huge for you. I'll be praying for you my dear in your sorrow and knowing He will be holding your Hand walking right there with you. You're a great daughter! And II Cor 2:14 - you are the fragrance of that Rose to all of us, the Rose of Sharon.

Cheryl said...

I really feel for you my friend. This will be such a hard time for you. Your post was beautiful. Such a sweet heart you have. God Bless!

Anonymous said...

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family. You have written a beautiful post and once again touched my life.

Sharon Bardwell said...

Oh my friend ... here's a hug...

{{{{{HUG}}}}}

I hope it helps just a little.

JUST A MOM said...

Oh Connie, I am so sorry it is your turn to wave your dad go to Jesus. I will tell you that with my own dad, him and I had a beautiful trip in his over the road truck just before he died. His body was in the bed but his mind was already off on the open road of beauty. I pray for you to have some kind of very special time with your daddy before he goes to be with Jesus.

Denise said...

Just stopping in to say hello and let you know that my heart is touched by you and the things that you are going through.. Life is so tough sometimes but because you touch so many lives with your goodness, God will send angels your way, as it is time for you to be comforted.

Nise' said...

Praying for you and your family during this difficult time. May you feel His arms of love around you and our prayers as well.