Home   My 100's   My Supernatural Journey   My Dad   Contact

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Sticks and Stones







"Sticks and stones can break my bones but words will never hurt me." I yelled back, as a little girl running away from words being said to me. But the truth is, those words did hurt, more than a broken bone ever would. And that pain still lingers on even to this day.

As I have grown older, I have been called many names in my 40 plus (smile) years of life. I have been called mom, honey, Connie, Con (my sister’s name for me), Mrs. Barris, but then there are the names I can't put down in a devotional. I have been called hurtful names by teachers, coaches, enemies and yes, even other Christians. I have harbored those lies from “these” names that have marred me and made a home deep within my heart.

Now, my private little world causes me great shame.

Now, I have grown to believe that I no longer am able to live up to the worlds
standards, nor Gods for that matter.


So, it is in this place of spiritual darkness, that I can either feed my self-pity or allow the “burst” of God’s splendor, truth, goodness, light, love and glory to fill my heart! (1Jn4:16) So, that I may replace its’ shame.

Who is calling me by name?

Abba Father has called us by name, a name He has chosen, through Christ, ("...the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name.... ” (John 10:2-3).") that we would only believe in the truth of God and not the lies of the world around us (John 8:44).


And He knows my name..... He knows yours!

We are His beloved



14 little hearts from you...:

Anonymous said...

when i was a little girl at school I was teased awfully
I wish Id known that there was a God
I wish I knew that no matter what the kids did to me or called me
I had a heavenly Father who called me His princess
Im pleased I know that no matter what the world may call us or do to us
He our heavenly Father loves us and calls us His own :)

Sharon Brumfield said...

Boy could I identify with the top part of your post. It took me a long time to realize that I am who He says I am.
Now everyonce in a while I think He allows some one to say something negative to see if I am going to look at Him for comfirmation or if I am just going to believe what they say.
It is good to see at times that there has been growth.

Denise said...

Bless you for sharing this post precious one, love you.

Anonymous said...

Connie,

Wow, powerful. Right now my daughter is 12 and enduring all those insecurities of name calling.

It is like reliving it again with her and twice as painful. Thank you for it is Abba we both must listen to. Wonderful

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Love that he gives us all "new" names that only he knows ... looking forward to hearing it someday. And isn't it interesting how people can actually call you a name without using an actual label--by insinuating something about you, for instance?

Susanne said...

Wow! What an awesome post, Connie!! One of the guys at church sings the song "He Knows My Name" occasionally. As soon as I hear the first chord, I am out of my pew and at the altar, thanking my Jesus that no matter what anyone else says or thinks, HE KNOWS ME and HE LOVES ME for who I am!! Amen, Sister!!!

Sharon Bardwell said...

Get ready...get ready for name calling...'cause I'm going to call you a name...are you ready...You are a.... you're a....you're a friend! There I said it! You're a friend and I'm glad that you are and I'm glad that your wrote this great devotional so that I could have a chance to call you that name! :-) Thanks! This was fabulous!!!

Holly said...

And Beloved...we are His. I often pray, "Lord show me just what you think of me." He always does.

Blessings Friend! Praying for you today...
Holly

Pearls of Wisdom said...

Dearest Connie,

Your posts are so touching and true to our hearts. Thanks for sharing and May the Lord bless you this week.

Love,

Angel ():)

Lori said...

Amen, thanks for stopping by enjoyed reading this. He has called us by name, Praise God.

blessings.

Susan said...

I LOVE the worship song that says,

"I have a Maker
He formed my heart
Before even time began
My life was in his hands

Chorus
He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
and He hears me when I call

I have a Father
He calls me His own
He'll never leave me
No matter where I go

Hugs, Connie!!

:-) Susan

A Friend said...

I am reminded of Punchinello, the Max Lucado character in "Just the Way You Are". If only we could let those words fall off like worn out stickers...

Gretchen said...

We are his beloved. Isn't that great? No matter what the past, or what kind of parents we had or that we are, He loves us. Thank You, Abba.

Hopeful Spirit said...

What a fabulous post . . . and reminder! I am featuring it in this week's SSSS! Stop by!