Home   My 100's   My Supernatural Journey   My Dad   Contact

Monday, July 23, 2007

Are We Living A Martha Life?



(Luke 10:41-42) “The Master said, "Martha, dear Martha, you're fussing far too much and getting yourself worked up over nothing. One thing only is essential, and Mary has chosen it—it's the main course, and won't be taken from her." The Msg.


This past Sunday our Pastor told a cute story about a little town of about 200 people or so. They had heard they had a visitor. “Paul Newman” it had been rumored was visiting this little town. One particular day during the visit, a woman decided to go get her usual (double scoop chocolate ice cream—a woman after my own heart) and as she walked in, she noticed in the corner of the ice cream shop at a table was a man with the most gorgeous blue eyes. Yes, she had heard the rumor. Yes, she thought this was probably –him—Paul Newman. In the brief moments, she thought better of it and decided she would remain totally cool, and not act like some of those “other “screaming fainting crazy women but instead very dignified. After all, isn’t this an everyday occurrence in this small town of 200 --- people like Mr. Newman just happen up in their ice cream shop? So out of her dream state she looks back at him, he nods at her and she nods back. Wow, she’s cool, she thought.

So, she orders her ice cream and as she gets her money, ice cream and gathers her purse, she walks out of the store and gets into her car. She is thinking “I’m good.” I deserve a Grammy award for this performance.

She sits for a moment and realizes there is a small problem….. Where is her ice cream? She starts to sweat. "No way”, she thinks, she has forgotten her ice cream. Now, she has two choices here. Does she go back in and look like an idiot or does she drive away and look like an idiot? Either way, she lost her focus in those big blue eyes and now it shows. The ice cream cone is sitting in the cone holder and she’s busted, right?!

She sucks (I doubt my Pastor said “sucks” it up) it up and walks in the store. She looks at the cone holder, it’s empty. So, she asks the girl behind the counter and the little girl shrugs her shoulders as if she has no idea. The woman looks around, slowly, like r.e.a.l. s.l.o.w., panic is starting to take over. She looks over at Mr. Blue Eyes and hoping he isn’t paying a bit of attention to this disastrous situation, but oh is he ever. Paul, I mean Mr. Newman says, “Mam, you put your ice cream cone in your purse!

Distracted.

Are you ever distracted?

Cell phones? Computers? Ever watched our college aged kids with a cell phone? They can’t go 10 minutes without a phone call or text message. Take “it” (cell phones) away from them for one hour. I believe panic would set it.

Relationships? Distraction sets in when they(the other person) defines mine / your worth.

Blogging. Oh bloggers.. I love my blogging friends and my blog. Just ask my hubby. But can it become a distraction? Yes, when it becomes life. I have to remember its purpose in which I started blogging…. A journal for Jesus Christ. Friendships—sure…. BUT, when I start to seek my worth through the approval outside of this, I’m no longer finding the life through my Savior. And this is a huge distraction.

Each day, we are faced with distractions. It’s how we choose to handle these distractions that will determine what our lives will look like.

From the beginning of time, we have been given a choice… and we are still given a choice. Even though, we may have our Salvation wrapped tightly up as ours forever, what about the abundant life? Do we want the abundant life Christ promises (John 10:10) or do we wish to live tired and worn-out?

Do you want to be a distracted Martha?

Or do you want to be a Mary, sitting at the feet of Jesus?

It’s our choice; do we want to live like Mary in a Martha world?

Embrace the main course – embrace our Jesus!

15 little hearts from you...:

Denise said...

Amen my sweet friend, I want to worship at the precious feet of my Jesus. I want to learn from Him always.

Amy said...

Wonderful WONDERFUL post! I am almost finished with the book "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World." Have you read it?

Sharon Bardwell said...

I've been 'distracted' by visiting with my parents these past few days. I haven't written or read any blogs. I see that I missed several good one's written by you my friend.

Glad to hear Hospice is going well. Neat to hear that y'all also take care of the pets :-)

Talk..to..Grams said...

Wow, You and Denise could both write devotional booklets for sure!! That was really good!

Thanks for visiting my blog, I have added you to my side bar for places I love to visit.

Susanne said...

I try so hard not to be Martha...I really want to be more like Mary, and I am doing much better at it...but sometimes my "Martha tendencies" rear their ugly heads and I am fussing and freaking out over nothing. Thanks for this word today...I REALLY NEEDED IT!!!

Susan said...

I love the reminder to "Keep the 'main thing' the 'main thing'!" You're right, it's easy to get distracted and measure our worth by so many other things. May God continue to use your words to bless those in the blogosphere. Thank you for the continued challenge!!

:-) susan

charlestonyaya said...

Thanks so much for your daily additions to my quiet time. I look forward to your posts every single day!!

JUST A MOM said...

Thank you,,,,

Praise and Coffee said...

Amen. Time at His feet is always time well spent!
Love,
Sue

Cyndee@Riezzee's Place said...

I am trying to balance the whole blog thing with the people that I am with currently. I can get so swept up in the "busyness" that I forget to just sit. So, I am blogging when I can on the things that are important to me. Afterall, the blog is for me. Thanks for the great reminder.

Blessings

Gretchen said...

Amen and Amen. Even though I'm a "noticer" by nature, I need to be a "focuser" on God. :)xxxoogretchen

Pearls of Wisdom said...

Beautiful post ! I have been busy the past few days and am finally making my rounds.
Your blog and posts really refresh me. Glad to hear Hospice is going well
Hugs,

Angel ():)

eph2810 said...

Amen, Connie. Yes, we do get distracted with many things in our day-to-day life.
One of the things I really wanted to do when started blogging was sharing my Savior with the WWW. But in order to do that, I have to be close to Him and rooted in His Word. Sometimes we come across some questionable stuff on the Internet--if we are not rooted in Him, we might take what others say for face-value. Does that make sense?

Thank you for the sharing this wonderful story and the reflection on it :).

Blessings to you and yours.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the post. It made me chuckle. I can think of many times when I have placed things in the strangest places. Certainly my mind was distracted.

Holly said...

I have missed you, Connie! I will have to get a cup of coffee this afternoon and see what God has been teaching you. Distractions have been the norm lately...pray for focus!

Praying for you as you enjoy your new job!
Love,
holly