Home   My 100's   My Supernatural Journey   My Dad   Contact

Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Tree of Life




(Genesis 2:16) "…From any tree of the garden you may eat freely;"

Man


Woman

God

Shopping

You notice none of these words are in the same sentence nor should they ever be. Woe to the man that ever embarks on such an adventure with the woman – such as shopping!

In my home, there is an ongoing issue (to put it mildly) about shopping. My husband has come to the conclusion that it would be next to "impossible" for me to go shopping for such an intended item and not come home with less than twenty other items.

Now, I have made several observations to this fact. One being when my husband goes shopping he states, "I will pick up what we need." Of course, cookies, ice cream and other such related items are a necessity, right? But I have learned not to argue this point because I like it. I get to live and shop vicariously through my husband. The second he walks through the door, I am snatching items out the bag like a small child. What did you get me? Me. Me.

My second observation is that this is not my fault. Yes, you heard me. It’s just not my fault. It’s Eve’s fault. After all, she went on the first shopping trip. Adam and yes, I might add God sent her out to shop. "You can eat from any tree but…." Well, on this particular day, the birds were singing, she was happy and there it was, the blue light special hanging right over THAT tree. And here is this voice, "Go ahead, it will make you feel good about yourself, take it home and make this great apple pie for Adam, you guys can have this dynamite romantic evening, oh yea, I promise, God won’t mind. NO, don’t ask him, it’s a SURPRISE." (by now, her heart is beating fast, she is excited, she can't wait)

Hook, line and sinker. She bit!

And ever since, woman (ie, me) has been looking for that blue light special – the forbidden fruit.

What is your forbidden fruit? Shopping, spending, a relationship, drinking, overeating, language, work, just not following God’s will for your life? It really is anything where you are living apart from our precious Savior, isn’t it? It is where you do not find that life with Him.


"Will I surely die" (You know how it is when you stand before your spouse or the mirror or GOD, when that reality check hits!! yeah... the rush is over. )

Let’s just say there is no life in some of the things we do. For we will bear no fruit on our own, but only through living totally dependant of God, our Father.

So on our shopping days, well we just need to stick to the Tree of Life… our Jesus.

In Him,

8 little hearts from you...:

Denise said...

Amen my friend, I need to daily cling to my precious tree of life, Jesus.

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Hi, it's Jenn from Munchkin Land. Thanks for your sweet, sweet comment on my blog. I'd love to send you the word document with the instructions on how to make an HTML button but I don't have your email address. Please send it to me so I can forward that document. Hopefully its as easy as Laura says it is! =)

Susan said...

Yes, Connie, you're right. Clinging to THE tree is so important. And letting go of those things that prevent us from being there is a "must do". Thanks for sharing your heart.

:-) Susan

Sharon Bardwell said...

Connie,
{pause}
{more silence}
uh, WOW!

You know that devotional book you asked me about...I'm thinking we should co-author one. Our Loving Lord has truly gifted you with great insight.

Maybe it was in the water in Carol City...LOL!
{{{HUGS}}}
Sharon

Connie Barris said...

Susan.. yes you are right... about THE tree..

so the next time someone ask if I am a TREE hugger... I have to say YES....

SMILE

Nise' said...

I think our husbands were cut from the same cloth! I want to bear much fruit for Him! Thank you for the reminder to stick to the tree of life!

Patty said...

Amen! What a lesson today. God's Word is good, even when it brings conviction. Thank you for this post!

Love,
Patty

Gretchen said...

Doggone-it, my friend--you had to slip in a little life accountability, didn't you. :)

Seriously, what a lovely post. I needed to "hear" it. Especially since I went to WalMart today. Twice.

He IS my vine. ((((hugs))))