Home   My 100's   My Supernatural Journey   My Dad   Contact

Monday, March 24, 2008

How Will I Die?



(John 3:15)"...that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life"


As A Hospice Nurse, I hear this question often. But this time I will hold onto this question with a whole new meaning and a special love.

My sweet patient looked down at the floor wringing his hands, finally having the courage to ask me “the” hardest question yet. I could sense something had been bothering him during our last few visits. I could see it in his eyes. "How will I die?"

He is an intelligent man so I knew he would expect the details. As I began sharing the process of dying, I could feel “A” presence overtake us. I may perhaps say that God filled the room. He took over the situation. Peace filled the apprehensive uncertainties that crept into my mind.

Nearing the end of my explanation of death and dying, I told my patient (and friend) that one thing I have noticed was that all my patients are given an incredible peace in the perfect time nearing the end. However, all my patients have been Christians. I have heard stories of patients passing that were not Christians that were less than peaceful but I have not personally experienced it so I could not share that.

He then said, “Well, I just might be your first.”

I felt my heart just sink into my toes. I had given him several Christian books to read and he had enjoyed them so I just assumed…. Now, he looked at me with such sadness. He told me that he wasn’t worthy. He had never led a life that God would be proud of. He did not attend church much. And the list grew. But he said, "I'm not a bad person. I just didn't work for God.

I asked him if he had read the Bible or parts of it. And then I asked him if he believed in it. He said, “Yes.” I asked him if he believed that Jesus was the Son of God and again he said, “Yes.” So I did have a foundation to work with as I talked to him.

We went on for some time, God giving me the words, scripture and the peace to share. I finally asked my patient if the thief on the Cross had time for works, church and all the things he had listed and through his tears he cried, “No.”

The words shared were…Supernatural… and from our Heavenly Father…. I was a partaker.

He said, “I have some thinking to do.” And I asked him what he felt he needed to think about. I said, “Would you like to receive Christ as your Savior now? I can help you do that and I would be honored.” He nodded yes. There we held hands. His mom, a Godly woman, sat across the room. And we prayed to receive Christ.

I believe I heard Heaven rejoice.

Interestingly, as I shared this with my family (of course, leaving the name confidential), my 12 year-old son asked if we were going to baptize him. Well, duh! Why didn’t I think of that? So this week our Chaplain is going to baptize him. I’m not sure who is more excited, him or me.

How will I die? My sweet one, you won’t—you have eternal life now!


24 little hearts from you...:

Anonymous said...

Goodness, Connie...
This is the sweetest post ever and exactly why I LOVE YOUR BLOG!

Blessings! You are a true servant!!

Dori

Denise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Denise said...

Jhn 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life


We have already entered into our eternity.......... how wonderful is that.........

Precious post girlfriend...... The angels rejoiced.......

Donetta said...

Oh ya! and all the heavens rejoice! and the fields of the trees clap their hands.

JUST A MOM said...

OH CONNIE it has been a while.... so sweet thank you for sharing. You are such a great server.

Denise said...

Praise God, the angels are shouting for joy. I love your heart sweetie..

Mocha with Linda said...

So glad you shared this here...

That story just touches my heart.
I want to share that with my friend whose brother I emailed you about, if that's okay.

Melli said...

AMEN!!! Ohhhhhhhh Connie! God used you sO gooooooood!!! PRAISE HIM!!! WOW!!! Oh, if I could do that, even just ONCE!!! Lord, USE me! USE ME!!! I am sO happy for you -- and SOOOOOOOO happy for your patient!!! Allelujia!

Sharon Brumfield said...

You go girl!
A missionary to the world of Hospice.
How cool.
Who says we have to go to Africa.
Snatched from the fire.
I heard the other day that the boundaries of heaven have been set from the beginning--the boundaries of hell are ever expanding.
Praise God it won't be expanding for one more.

Cyndee@Riezzee's Place said...

The angels rejoice and there was a party in Heaven. What fun to plan to spend eternity together.

Blessings

Patty said...

Connie,
I know you shared this with me last week but I just love reading the whole story. How sweet of God to allow you to lead your patient to Him!!
What a calling you walk in my friend!!
Love,
Patty

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Connie, I am so awed over the way that you write. Every time i feel so caught up in what you have written. This is just perfect. i am work so have to watch my emotions but I could almost cry!! How sweet!! What a blessing you are at Hospice. Having been there so much with my friend that I lost a year ago i understand some of what you see every day. i am so happy for your patient and friend. Praise God that he works every thing out...Sandy

Julie said...

Oh Connie,
That's beautiful....so precious....

How awesome that God would have you in a place with people offering them life before their death.
I know it must be a really emotional job...but what a gift you are to those people.

Praise God!
Love,
Julie

Cheryl said...

What beautiful words you have. God used you and you let him. You are such a blessing. Thanks for sharing that story. Have a good week my friend! God Bless~

Jenster said...

Wow! What an incredible testimony!

Thank you so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Connie, Thank you for your heart!!
Thank you for stepping out and letting God take over! Lessen learned we should never assume, love you my friend:)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful thing. I am in awe. How fortunate your patients are.
Blessings,
Darnelle

Mary said...

Oh Connie. This is absolutely beautiful and how wonderful that you lead this man to the Lord. God has put another jewel in your crown.

Blessings,
Mary

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

bless you Connie
and I am praying for that man

I have a dear friend whom is a blogger who has cancer recently found out both her and me

I have a tribute on my blog about her

I dont quite know how to help her
except email her regularly anhd pray for her
Jen

JUST A MOM said...

thanks and sorry I sent my daughter with the younger one,,,,, safer that way huh,,,,

His Girl said...

wow. just wow. just wow.

Julie said...

Connie, Yes you made it to my new blog.....YAY!! Cause I don't want to lose you!!!!!

I am so sorry that you did not get to go to dinner with William Young. I know how much you wanted to go. : (

Yes, we need to catch up soon!

Thanks for stopping by the new blog. I need to make another post, but my mind is idle right now....
I'm still waiting on God to give me something to say!

Love,
Julie

Technonana said...

I still have goosebumps after reading this!! How good is our God that YOU were his nurse!! O MAGNIFY THE LORD WITH ME, AND LET US EXALT HIS NAME TOGETHER!!

Tracy said...

Tears welled up as I read that beautiful, beautiful post. What a privilege, honor and gift to introduce that man to our loving Lord. The peace he must feel in his heart, because of Christ and your faithfulness to share. You've inspired me (and many others).

Blessings,
Tracy