Home   My 100's   My Supernatural Journey   My Dad   Contact

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Heaven Bound




"I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies…”(John 11:25)

How do we accept death? Is it really a part of life?

With the recent death of my friend Melissa and the death of my patients in Hospice, something has occurred to me; most of us do not know how to die.

We prepare for the birth of our babies. We prepare each year for the celebration of another year. We prepare to celebrate life.

But let’s not discuss death. Even though it is inevitable, we try to skirt around it. The problem is we cannot stop “it” from happening. We can’t even delay it, really. Oh, maybe by a few weeks or months but at the cost of what? And for who? What about the one suffering? I have had patients beg God to take them home.

Sometimes, we will try and help the loved ones of the dying (or maybe they have died) person. You know, the ones left behind! Don’t we feel like we need to “fix” them? It’s in "our nature" that we want to remove their burden, their pain. We try to help them with their grief but sometimes may they remain in complete denial, even for a period after the death of their loved one. It’s frustrating for those watching. We are fixers. Sometimes, they just aren't ready. They need to grieve in their own space for a while. And don't dare say, hasn't it been long enough. Ouch!

This is where we need to be kind and patient, for God is in control—not us.

Eventually, the loved one will become weary and then this is our opportunity… this is when he / she will be ready for our help.

Just like a drowning person -- you don’t want to help them while they're are frantic! When I was on my check off dive for a scuba trip years ago, a young man thought he was drowning (I would have thought that too except he had an air hose hooked to his mouth with plenty of air), so he became panicked; in turn, he grabbed the first thing he could seize hold of which happened to be me. We both almost drowned. Not until he became exhausted were we able to get him back to shore, safely.

It is through our Papa and His love that each of us can be rescued. Death is a part of life. We are only here for a short time. Hopefully, we can make our death as graceful as our birth and meaningful as our life.

Though our bodies are dying each day, may our souls be Heaven bound.

Love ya

8 little hearts from you...:

A Friend said...

I think I am prepared, maybe I don't have a clue. One thing I am sure of though, I will be in Heaven!

Thank you for another beautiful post.

JUST A MOM said...

you can open a persons mind,,,,,,

Denise said...

Amen to this my dear beautiful friend, I love you.

Anonymous said...

I love coming to visit your blog. Thank you for your post.

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

What a great way to illustrate death!! It is coming and we who know Christ are going to live with HIM one day!! What a joy!! I came close to dying once not long ago and I am so glad that happened to me because now I know that it was such a comfortable feeling!! I did not have a care in the world and i was so very very peaceful!! If my death is going to be that way one day then there is nothing for me to fear. Sandy

Pam said...

Beautiful website....and how blessed you are to know Ivey!! Thank you for the wonderful comment.

I will be back ofen.....

Pam....blessed mommy to Rhett

Amy said...

God's timing is perfect. I just got off the phone with my mother. My dad died in January. She was crying and missing my daddy and I was trying to make her feel better instead of just being there for her while she cried. I was trying to fix her to stop her from crying.

Thank you for sharing this today.

Amy said...

Yes, we are close to the same age! I turned 43 yesterday so we're not too far apart. I still love Donny. I don't have posters of him in my room or anything like that though. I think my husband would disapprove..lol! But I do like to tease about him on my blog.

Thanks for stopping by today. Still praying for your friends family.