Home   My 100's   My Supernatural Journey   My Dad   Contact

Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Race

“Indeed there are those who are last who will be first, and first who will be last.” Luke 13:30

I have spent all my life trying to be the best at everything. As a little girl, I wanted to be the best at school, the best softball player, the best fisherman, yea the coolest motorcycle, you name it, and the list goes on. To be chosen last on a team or to not be chosen at all was devastating to my fragile ego and only caused me to raise the bar of perfection even higher.

Fast forward to my years as an adult, I wanted to be the best nurse and I didn’t hesitate to let you know that I probably was the best. It took me a long time to figure out this was causing great strife in my work life as well as my inner peace. I continually drew the line in the sand and dared you to step over it. No wonder I was miserable.

It would literally take a whack upside the head to get my attention. And God did. Get my attention that is. Possibly He is the One that whacked me upside the head with a measuring stick, the one that I had been measuring my life with all these years.

I needed a good dose of humility and I got it. The past year has been a revealing year. Just the other day everything that came out of my mouth was wrong and I looked like an idiot while trying to make a first impression. It suddenly reminded me of the words a friend had shared the day before, “And there are those that are last who will be first…” Luke 13:30

I laughed out loud. I know the person I was with thought I had lost my mind (well what else is new). I silently prayed a thanks of gratitude to God, for I get it now.

I know (most days) that God is the only One that will be first and well, I just am along for the ride.

Thankfully this is a race with no end...

1 little hearts from you...:

Karin said...

Gotta love those humility inservices! They achieve His purpose in our life!